Raipur (Bengali: রায়পুর) is an upazila in Lakshmipur District, Chittagong Division, Bangladesh. It is surrounded by the upazilas of Faridganj, Ramganj, Lakshmipur Sadar, Mehendiganj and Haimchar, and on the west by the Megna River. Raipur has 40,618 households, and covers an area of 201.32 square kilometres (77.73 sq mi).
In the 2001 Bangladesh census, Raipur had a population of 236,965.Males were 51 percent of the population and females 49 percent. The population aged 18 and older was 100,491. Raipur had an average literacy rate of 22.5 percent (ages seven and older), compared to the national average of 32.4 percent.The Muslim population was 228,361; there were 8,566 Hindus, 23 Christians and 15 others.
Raipur Upazila is divided into one municipality and 10 union parishads: Bamni, Char Mohana, Char Pata, Keroa, North Char Ababil, North Char Bangshi, Raipur, Sonapur, South Char Ababil, and South Char Bangshi. The union parishads are subdivided into 49 mauzas and 81 villages.
Raipur has one of the largest textile factories in Bangladesh, which is closed. Its small factories are in need of modernization. Raipur is 11 kilometres (6.8 mi) from the river port of Haidergonj and 160 kilometres (99 mi) from the seaport of Chittagong. Other industries include fishing, dairy farming and beef production for Eid al-Adha.
|Official School Name||Establishment Date|
|Shamsunnahar High School||1993|
|Principal Kazi Faruky School & College||2011|
|Raipur L. M. Pilot Model High School||1911|
|Char Ababil Rachimuddin High School||1914|
|Raipur Merchants Academy||1953|
|Raipur Girls High School||1963|
|Haidergonj Rokeya-Hasmutnessa Girls High School||1970|
|Raipur Government College||1970|
|Ludua M. M. High School||1936|
|Mollarhat High School||1990|
|Raipur Alia Madrasah||Unknown|
|Sayestanagar Islamia Dakhil Madrasah||1920|
|Haidargonj Taheria Rachimuddin M. Fazil (Degree) Madrasah||1928|
|Peer Fojlullah Islami Mission Madrashah||Unknown|
|M. Rahman Alim Madrashah||Unknown|
|Mitaly Bazar Model Academy||Unknown|
Raipur Fish Hatchery and Training Centre is a fish hatchery in Raipur Upazila, Lakshmipur District, Bangladesh. One of the six main fish hatcheries in Bangladesh, it was the largest hatchery in the district during the Noakhali Rural Development Project implemented during 1978-1992 by DANIDA, a Danish development agency. One of the three Principal Scientific Officers (PSO) of the Department of Fisheries of Bangladesh governments is assigned to Raipur Hatchery. It also is one of three training centers directly governed by the Director General of the Department, along with Fisheries Training Institute (Chandpur) and Fisheries Training Academy in (Dhaka).
The Raipur Upazila has 8 fish farms, 14 dairy farms, 72 poultry farms and this one hatchery. As of 2004, the government-owned hatchery was able to produce 504 kilograms of hatchlings a year, which mostly consisted of endemic species like Catla catla (katla), Labeo rohita (rui), Cirrhinus cirrhosus(mrigal), Labeo calbasu (kalabaus), Clarias batrachus (magur), and Channa striata (shingi).In 1979, mirror carps (Cyprinus carpio var. specularis) from Nepal were first introduced to Bangladesh for the World Bank financed Raipur Fish Hatchery.In 1982, the Raipur Hatchery started artificial spawning in Bangladesh.In 2001, the Greater Noakhali Aquaculture Extension Component (GNAEC), a sub-program of DANIDA’s Agricultural Sector Program in Bangladesh, shifted from the hatchery development strategy of hatched at the Raipur Hatchery. GNAEC abandoned “backyard hatcheries” and “village type prawn hatcheries” models for large-scale private sector development.
Jinn masjid is a historical mosque in Bangladesh known as ‘Jinn Mosque’ is found at Raipur upazila in Lakshmipur district. The mosque is so attractive and completely different from other mosque that a lot of people from different districts visit the positioning to see its extraordinary design. The mosque was designed about 204 years back. native people believe it had been created by some pious jinns (genies), and thus, decision it by name ‘Jinn Mosque’, although a stone plaque indicates its name as Masjid-e-Jameye Abdullah, or Maulana Abdullah mosque.For more details click here