Top Data Scientist Skills Required
Several years back, did you ever consider the endless amount of information available on the internet, the prospect of traveling to a new location without using Google Maps, or the routine chores carried out by systems, machines, and mobile phones? Yes, it is all possible thanks to data science and other cutting-edge technologies that are increasingly indispensable for both everyday life and business operations. Data science enables businesses to effectively comprehend enormous amounts of data from many sources and to gain insightful information for better data-driven decisions. Top Data Scientist Skills Required
A growing number of industrial sectors, including healthcare, marketing, banking, finance, policymaking, defense, and security, are using data science approaches as a vital component. In order to make better decisions, data science techniques can process and understand data in a better way. Offering a wealth of information regarding operations and clients can also affect the expansion and enhancements of the product. It aids businesses in determining the ideal times and locations for selling their goods. The fact that data science’s conclusions and insights can be used in practically any industry, including travel, education, healthcare, finance, information technology, and many more, is, on the other hand, one of its most significant features. As a result, there is a high demand for skilled data science experts who have optimum Data science skills to deal with any kind of data issue.
So this article is going to discuss some of the skills required for data scientists that help keep them apart from other employees.
What is Data Science?
Simply, Data Science is the study of data to get meaningful insights from structured and unstructured data sets for business. It is a multi-disciplinary approach that combines practices and principles from the field of mathematics, artificial intelligence, statistics, and computer engineering to analyze a huge amount of data. It involves methodologies, tools, and technologies to generate valuable meaning from data. Data science technologies are especially used for Descriptive analysis, Diagnostic analysis, Predictive analysis, and Prescriptive analysis. Simply it has revolutionized the way companies operate. Therefore several businesses of any size ( large or small) need robust data science techniques to grow more and maintain a competitive edge.
Data Scientist- Data scientists are the professionals who collect, analyzes, and interprets extremely large amount of data. A data scientist belongs to a multi-disciplinary field, so he/she can play the role of many different specialists like scientists, mathematicians, statisticians, and computer professionals. They can utilize their skills and knowledge in both technology and social science to manage data and find trends, make decisions, and improve their operations and can also play the role of analytical data experts who have the technical skills to solve complex problems. They also can develop new ways to collect and store data.
Data Science Skills Required
For the past few years, data scientists have been considered one of the most in-demand, desired, and hottest job roles worldwide. As data scientists have to play multiple roles in this job title itself, it requires many skills to become a perfect professional. Let us have a look at the topmost skills required for the data scientist role.
- Database and Basic programming- As all the data science tasks are related to data, therefore it all started with basic knowledge of programming languages and databases to manipulate the data and apply sets of algorithms when needed. So it is a must for every data scientist to know programming languages such as R, SQL, Scala, Python, etc.
The database is also important as it is used to store data in a structured way and ensure how and when data should be called when required. Data Scientists mostly use MongoDB and MySQL databases to store data.
- Knowledge of SAS and Analytical Tools- It is known that data science is all about performing data tasks with several existing and advanced tools and technologies. So it is a must for every data scientist to have sound knowledge of SAS technologies and analytical tools like Hadoop, Spark, Pig, and R, which are the most widely used tools by data scientists.
- Mathematics- It is the most required skill for data scientists and something that can’t be ignored if someone is choosing a career in this domain. Mathematics skills require fluency in topics such as Geometry, Calculus, Regression, Statistics, Matrix, Linear Algebra, Vector Models, Dimensionality Reduction, Probability Distribution, etc. It can make your base strong to start a career as a data scientist. Learn all major algorithms and implement them in real-life scenarios to get success smoothly.
- Data Analysis and Visualization- As the job title says, Data Scientists have to work with a large amount of data. So it is essential to have data analysis and data visualization skills that can help data scientists to process and interpret data in an attractive and meaningful way. These professionals can use popular data tools like Tableau, Power BI, QlikView, D3.js, etc. That helps them display the pictorial forms of graphs and charts that can be easy to understand.
- Machine Learning and Deep Learning- Today’s digital age is running through artificial intelligence and machine learning technologies, including deep learning tools and techniques. So data scientists must know these skills as they have to work on a vast amount of data and the decision-making process is data-centric in any organization.
Machine learning for data science involves algorithms like Random forest, K-nearest Neighbors, Regression Models, Pytorch, Naive Bayes, Keras, TensorFlow, etc., that are central to ML. It is helpful in Fraud and Risk Detection and Management, Automatic Spam Filtering, Airline Route planning, Healthcare, IVR, Comprehensive language and document recognition and translation, etc.
- Cloud Computing- Cloud is everywhere, so in data science. The practice of data science involves the use of cloud computing services and products to help data scientists and other professionals access the resources needed to process and manage data. Data science and cloud computing go hand in hand, as the everyday role of a data scientist involves the analysis and visualization of data stored in the cloud.
Microsoft Excel, Probability and Statistics, Multivariate Calculus, Linear Algebra, Data wrangling, DevOps, Web Scraping, Big Data, etc., are some other technical skills that are essentially required for Data Scientists. On the other side, Problem-solving skills, good communication skills, leadership skills, keen observation, critical thinking, etc., as the soft or non-technical skills that every data scientist should have to master their data skills in this domain